Monday, January 30, 2012

"Think Global Act Local"

UWC short course in Swaziland was one of the best experiences in my life! I've, in the recent past, attended gatherings with international participants (the last one having been in Pretoria, South Africa), but all fall short of the 'awesomeness'--for the lack of a better word--that this one was.

As far as I'm concerned, there were seventy-one (?) great minds gathered together deliberating (in quite a novel and easy-going way) on the serious topic of development and its various hues. And, new things did I learn there! Yet having said that, the greatest lesson for me in the short course was the 'glocal' term that Suzy brought to my attention for the first time. The basic maxim behind it being to 'think global, and act local'.

Perhaps I had come across this idea before, put in different words and without deliberate emphasis on the key terms: 'local action' and 'global thinking'. This idea dominated my thoughts for the rest of the short course. And. as the days dragged on, or should I say sped past, because that it how it felt, I realised the importance of such an outlook. Easier said than done, but I guess it's something all of us need to think about.

True to this idea, most of our individual projects (which I hope we are still on the course of implementing them successfully ) reflect it. Special mention goes to the guys that came up with the idea of a website connecting young folks from all over the globe!

As a way of penning off, I'll just say that, that we are world's apart (almost literally in the geographic sense of the word), is no reason for us to behave as if the short course never happened. As if we never shared a common experience, and parts of our personal experiences to other participants and facilitators. We ought to continue to communicate and act as a support group to anyone who needs help of whatever sort, so long as it is within our strength to do it.

P.S. I wore our short-course t-shirt for seven consecutive days without taking it off. I kinda felt close to all of you amazing people! Eventually, my mother knocked some reality into my head, when she took it (without my consent!) to wash it. I could go on and on, but now I pen-off.
Love
Mark Mngo

1 comment: