Sunday, September 30, 2012

swaziland reflection! dedicated to roku


Last December/January 2011/2012, I had the pleasure and privilege of travelling to Swaziland to participate in the United World College Short Course “Together for Development.” When I was informed by Pearson College that a Short Course was happening in Swaziland, I was extremely excited as I had actually wanted to travel there for the past few years and was eager to participate in a United World College program. For the months leading up to my departure, I was anxious and looking forward to meeting such a wide range of students from all over the planet and talking about the broad and weighted term “development.” When I arrived at the college, it was incredible and a bit surreal to meet all the people who I had been talking to over Facebook before the course and get to know each other face-to-face.
At the Short Course, there were around fifty participants (not including the awesome facilitators) from around the world all there for the same reasons – to talk about development, be immersed in other cultures, and connect/network with those around them. The whole idea of being surrounded by “like-minded” people being such an enriching and empowering experience definitely applied there, but of course with our “like-mindedness” regarding an interest in humanity and development came a multitude of perspectives and ideas about those topics. Hearing other student’s viewpoints and backgrounds challenged me to try to keep an open mind and consider not only the perspectives of other Canadians, as I often focused on before, but the perspectives of citizens everywhere pertaining to global development issues. The chance to embrace other people and their knowledge/backgrounds in a diplomatic and respectful environment is an opportunity that UWC provides students with, and it has been invaluable for all of us.
My group project work was in Bulembu, a small northwestern Swazi community where hundreds of child orphans live and grow up in homes and orphanages run by several organizations. Visiting Bulembu was an emotional experience for me as my close family friends adopted a baby boy from there three years ago. I even talked to several children who remember him and recall when he left for Canada, an important time for them. Seeing where he was born and spent the first ten months of his life was so powerful and means I can answer questions and show him pictures until he is old enough to visit there himself. It was also interesting getting to see firsthand how an organization runs their programs, the philosophies they have, and how the kids feel living in a place like Bulembu. Of course, as with all organizations, there were aspects which I admired and thought were successful like their efforts to become sustainable and their housing program (where children lived with a “mother” and five other kids), as well as parts which I struggled to accept such as the religious nature of the programs. Although I know Swaziland is a largely Protestant/Zionist/Catholic country, that aspect of religion really struck a chord with me as well as many of the other participants in my group. It was definitely a learning curve for me and a lesson for if I ever start or dedicate myself to an organization, as I believe it is important for me to agree with the fundamental aspects and goals of a group before giving my support. I am grateful for my times in Bulembu, particularly having the opportunity to speak to the kids who had been a part of the orphanage program since they were babies. Their strength and optimism was apparent and inspiring, and gave us all a lot of insight into how their life is there. It was awesome coming back to Waterford Kamhlaba and hearing the other groups’ stories from their projects – we all were able to benefit from the wide range of volunteer activities.
I am so grateful for the opportunities the Short Course has opened up for me even after returning from Swaziland. In August I took a three week trip to Argentina/Uruguay to visit three members from the Short Course and had an absolutely incredible time learning about their culture and the rich history of Argentina. Having friends there made me feel safe and comfortable and allowed me to experience the country both through tourism and staying with them, learning their habits and routines. (I don’t know if I could ever adjust to the late night dinners and even later discos, sorry Cani, Juan, and Emi!) They were happy to answer my hundreds of questions and made excellent hosts who I knew I could trust and rely on. Now I am planning my next trip in the spring likely to visit Europe, and I intend to visit many of the other members from the Short Course and learn more about their communities and countries as well. 
This year attending my first year of post-secondary school, I am realizing more and more how much the Short Course impacted me. It is incredible to sit in my cultural anthropology lecture and understand concepts that before UWC were unclear to me such as the term “cultural relativism” or the history and facts about the spread of HIV/Aids in the world. Having insight into topics such as these from skilled, knowledgeable people has been extremely beneficial for me and made me more confident in a university setting. My time at Waterford Kamhlaba has also forced me to think critically every day about development in all its connotations and challenges me to analyze global and local issues in a more objective and critical way.
I can’t believe it was about nine months since I arrived home, as I still hold my experience in Swaziland close to my heart and all the things I learned are so relevant every day. The connections we have all made will continue to benefit us for years to come and I would definitely recommend anyone interested to participate in a Short Course!
Finally, I want to share the video that my high school grad class created. It is a fairly new school tradition for the grad class to create a project that leaves a lasting impact on the school, community, and/or world. Our town has been affected by several teen suicides over the past few years, and my grad class sadly lost two of our well-loved and long-term friends to suicide. We made this video as an attempt to help the students and families in our community cope with the recent suicides, as well as provide new students at our school with a “handbook” for how to survive, and even thrive in a sometimes stressful and intimidating high school setting. High school can be an extremely challenging time for students and depression is an often unspoken but prevalent issue. This video is meant to encourage people to reach out and ask for help when they need it – as well as offer a helping hand or shoulder to lean on for others who may be struggling. A lot of hard work fundraising and organizing went into the project, but so far the response has been positive and overwhelming J
HERE IS THE LINK

-          Charlotte (British Columbia, Canada)

No comments:

Post a Comment